The Science & Technology ExCom
Reliance 21 is led by the Science and Technology (S&T) Executive Committee (ExCom), chaired by Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research & Engineering, ASD(R&E), and comprised of the major departmental S&T organizations. The ExCom prioritizes resources and provides strategic oversight and guidance to the combined S&T workforce, laboratories, and facilities.
A strong connection with the warfighter underpins the S&T ExCom, through understanding needs and exploitation opportunities across the Services, and close interaction with the Joint Staff.
Through the ExCom, the S&T Leadership shapes and oversees the S&T Enterprise, establishing Communities of Interest and tasking those technical groups to conduct assessments and formulate strategies to address emerging challenges. The ExCom ensures delivery against the Department’s S&T Priorities and recommends new priorities or redirects activities in response to changing Defense needs and Strategic Guidance.
S&T ExCom Membership
- Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research & Engineering
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Emerging Capabilities & Prototyping
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Force Health Protection and Readiness
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Manufacturing and Industrial Base Policy
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Chemical & Biological Defense
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Science, Technology, Engineering
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Research and Technology)
- Chief of Naval Research
- Joint Staff, J8 Deputy Director for Resources and Acquisition
- Deputy Director, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- Program Executive for Advanced Technology, Missile Defense Agency
- Deputy Director for Rapid Capability Delivery, Joint IED Defeat Organization
- Associate Director for R&D, Defense Threat Reduction Agency