Domestic Non-Availability Determinations (DNADs)
In accordance with DFARS 225.7002-2(b), the secretaries of the military departments, without power of redelegation have authority to approve DNAD Determination and Findings for their respective requirements. The Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology & Logistics serves as the approval authority for the other defense agencies. Each military department has its own procedures for this action and you should contact your Service policy office for guidance.
If you are requesting domestic nonavailability determination for the acquisition of titanium or a product containing titanium, the military departments, as well as the other defense agencies, have an additional step in the process:
- In accordance with DFARS 225.7002-2(b)(4) and OUSD(AT&L) memo of October 22, 2004, you must notify the congressional defense committees at least 10 days before the award of a contract that relies on such a determination.
Procedures, Guidance, and Information (PGI) 225.7002-2(b) establishes the process that should be used for requesting a Determination of Non-Availability from the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics). That procedure is at this link: Domestic Non-Availability Determination.
- Your request for determination shall include: Documentation of your market research and results. An analysis of alternatives that would not require a domestic nonavailability determination; and a written certification by the requiring activity, with specificity, why such alternatives are unacceptable. A corrective action plan for obtaining compliant items and your schedule for attaining same. Once the Director of DPAP reviews the request it will be forwarded to the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics) as appropriate for concurrence signature.
Berry Amendment (10 U.S.C. 2533a)
Contact DPAP/CPIC at 703-697-9352 for information on the following DNADs prior to relying on these USD(AT&L) approved DNADs:
- Cationic-dyeable continuous filament polyester tow
- Poromeric material
- Dual compression molded ethyl vinyl acetate for midsoles and non-marking solid rubber for outsoles of men's and women's running shoes
- Rayon yarn for military clothing and textile items
- Steel toe caps
- Straps for ejection seat restraint
- Medical and surgical supplies
- Modacrylic fiber
Specialty Metals Restriction (10 U.S.C. 2533b)
The following DNADs may be used without contacting DPAP/CPIC (also see http://www.dcma.mil/dnad):
- Lids and leads for populated circuit card assemblies
- Fasteners, including all items in FSCs 5305, 5306, 5307, 5310, 5320, and 5325, or NAICs code 332722 (excluding cotter pins, dowel pins, hose clamps, spring pins, and turnbuckles)
- Needle Roller Bearings in FSCs 3110, 3120, and 3130, NAICs code 332991 (excluding ball bearings, bushing sleeves, rod ends, mounted bearings, and bearings built-to-print for military specific applications)