(Revised November 01, 2001)
This subpart prescribes policies and procedures for requiring contractor registration in the DoD Central Contractor Registration (CCR) database to comply with the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996 (31 U.S.C. 3332; 31 U.S.C. 7701), and to increase visibility of vendor sources for specific supplies and services and their geographical locations.
“Central Contractor Registration (CCR) database,” “Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number,” “Data Universal Numbering System+4 (DUNS+4) number,” and “Registered in the CCR database” are defined in the clause at 252.204-7004, Required Central Contractor Registration.
Prospective contractors must be registered in the CCR database prior to award of a contract, basic agreement, basic ordering agreement, or blanket purchase agreement, except for¾
(a) Purchases paid for with a Governmentwide commercial purchase card;
(b) Awards made to foreign vendors for work performed outside the United States;
(c) Classified contracts or purchases (see FAR 4.401) when registration in the CCR database, or use of CCR data, could compromise the safeguarding of classified information or national security;
(d) Contracts awarded by deployed contracting officers in the course of military operations, including, but not limited to, contingency operations as defined in 10 U.S.C. 101(a)(13) or humanitarian or peacekeeping operations as defined in 10 U.S.C. 2302(7), or contracts awarded by contracting officers in the conduct of emergency operations, such as responses to natural disasters or national or civil emergencies; and
(e) Purchases to support unusual or compelling needs of the type described in FAR 6.302-2.
(a)(1) Except as provided in 204.7302, the contracting officer must require each offeror to provide a DUNS number (see 204.603(2)) or, if applicable, a DUNS+4 number, with its verbal or written offer, regardless of the dollar amount of the offer.
(2) Before awarding a contract, basic agreement, basic ordering agreement, or blanket purchase agreement, the contracting officer must verify that the prospective contractor is registered in the CCR database (but see paragraph (b) of this section). The contracting officer may verify registration using the DUNS number or, if applicable, the DUNS+4 number, by calling toll-free: 1-888-227-2423, commercial: (616) 961-5757, or DSN: 932-5757; via the Internet at http://www.ccr.gov; or as otherwise provided by agency procedures.
(3) The contracting officer need not verify registration before placing an order or call under a DoD contract or agreement.
(4) The contracting officer must verify registration before placing an order or call under a non-DoD contract or agreement. If the contractor is not registered, the contracting officer must follow the procedures in paragraph (b) of this section.
(5) As part of the annual review of basic agreements, basic ordering agreements, and blanket purchase agreements, contracting officers must modify these agreements to incorporate the clause at 252.204-7004, Required Central Contractor Registration.
(b) If the contracting officer determines that a prospective contractor is not registered in the CCR database and an exception to the registration requirements for the award does not apply (see 204.7302), the contracting officer must¾
(1) If the needs of the requiring activity allow for a delay, proceed to award after the contractor is registered; or
(2) If the needs of the requiring activity do not allow for a delay, proceed to award to the next otherwise successful registered offeror, provided that written approval is obtained at one level above the contracting officer.
(c) Agencies must protect against improper disclosure of contractor CCR information.
(d) The contracting officer must, on contractual documents transmitted to the payment office, provide either the Commercial and Government Entity code or the DUNS number in accordance with agency procedures.
204.7304 Contract clause.