(Revised October1, 2010)
(a)(i) Departments and agencies shall comply with the review, approval, and reporting requirements established in accordance with Subpart 217.78 when placing orders for supplies or services in amounts exceeding the simplified acquisition threshold.
(ii) When a schedule lists both foreign and domestic items that will meet the needs of the requiring activity, the ordering office must apply the procedures of Part 225 and FAR Part 25, Foreign Acquisition. When purchase of an item of foreign origin is specifically required, the requiring activity must furnish the ordering office sufficient information to permit the determinations required by Part 225 and FAR Part 25 to be made.
208.405-70 Additional ordering procedures.
(a) This subsection--
(1) Implements Section 803 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002 (Pub. L. 107-107) for the acquisition of services, and establishes similar policy for the acquisition of supplies;
(2) Applies to orders for supplies or services under Federal Supply Schedules, including orders under blanket purchase agreements established under Federal Supply Schedules; and
(3) Also applies to orders placed by non-DoD agencies on behalf of DoD.
(b) Each order exceeding $150,000 shall be placed on a competitive basis in accordance with paragraph (c) of this subsection, unless this requirement is waived on the basis of a justification that is prepared and approved in accordance with FAR 8.405-6 and includes a written determination that--
(1) A statute expressly authorizes or requires that the purchase be made from a specified source; or
(2) One of the circumstances described at FAR 16.505(b)(2)(i) through (iii) applies to the order. Follow the procedures at PGI 216.505-70 (Pop-up Window or PGI Viewer Mode) if FAR 16.505(b)(2)(ii) or (iii) is deemed to apply.
(c) An order exceeding $150,000 is placed on a competitive basis only if the contracting officer provides a fair notice of the intent to make the purchase, including a description of the supplies to be delivered or the services to be performed and the basis upon which the contracting officer will make the selection, to--
(1) As many schedule contractors as practicable, consistent with market research appropriate to the circumstances, to reasonably ensure that offers will be received from at least three contractors that can fulfill the requirements, and the contracting officer--
(i)(A) Receives offers from at least three contractors that can fulfill the requirements; or
(B) Determines in writing that no additional contractors that can fulfill the requirements could be identified despite reasonable efforts to do so (documentation should clearly explain efforts made to obtain offers from at least three contractors); and
(ii) Ensures all offers received are fairly considered; or
(2) All contractors offering the required supplies or services under the applicable multiple award schedule, and affords all contractors responding to the notice a fair opportunity to submit an offer and have that offer fairly considered.
(d) See PGI 208.405-70 (Pop-up Window or PGI Viewer Mode)for additional information regarding fair notice to contractors and requirements relating to the establishment of blanket purchase agreements under Federal Supply Schedules.
208.406 Ordering activity responsibilities.
208.406-1 Order placement.