(Added January 24, 2008)
Data supporting contract closeout (i.e., DD Form 1594, Contract Completion Statement) are electronically transmitted throughout DoD. The Defense Logistics Management System Manual, DoD 4000.25-M, available at http://www.dla.mil/j-6/dlmso/eLibrary/Manuals/dlmso_pubs.asp, contains detailed instructions regarding closeout and electronic data transmission.
(1) The closeout date for file purposes will be the date in Block 9d of the DD Form 1594.
(2) If the contracting office must do a major closeout action that will take longer than 3 months after the date shown in Block 9d of the DD Form 1594—
(i) The closeout date for file purposes will be the date in Block 10e of the DD Form 1594; and
(ii) The contracting office shall notify the contract administration office of the revised closeout date by either sending a copy of the completed DD Form 1594 or by electronically transmitting the data.
(1) For contracting offices administering their own contracts, locally developed forms or a statement of completion may be used instead of the DD Form 1594, Contract Completion Statement. Whichever method is used, the form shall be retained in the official contract file.
(2) For contracts valued above the simplified acquisition threshold, prepare a DD Form 1597, Contract Closeout Check List (or agency equivalent), to ensure that all required contract actions have been satisfactorily accomplished.
(1) When an office other than the contracting office administers the contract, the administering office shall—
(i) Provide the contracting office an interim contract completion statement when the contract is physically completed and accepted;
(ii) Prepare a DD Form 1597, Contract Closeout Check List, if necessary, to determine that all the required actions have been completed;
(iii) Initiate DD Form 1593, Contract Administration Completion Record, if necessary to obtain statements from other organizational elements that they have completed the actions for which they are responsible; and
(iv) Upon final payment—
(A) Process a DD Form 1594 or the electronic equivalent verifying that all contract administration office actions have been completed; and
(B) Send the original DD Form 1594 or the electronic equivalent to the contracting office, and file a copy in the official contract file.
(2) If the administrative contracting officer (ACO) cannot close out a contract within the specified time period (see FAR 4.804-1), the ACO shall notify the procuring contracting officer (PCO) within 45 days after the expiration of the time period of—
(i) The reasons for the delay; and
(ii) The new target date for closeout.
(3) If the contract still is not closed out by the new target date, the ACO shall again notify the PCO with the reasons for delay and a new target date.