The principal missions of the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Maintenance Policy and Programs (DASD(MPP)) are to:
- Serve as the principal advisor for policies and procedures for maintenance support of major weapon systems and military equipment.
- Provide the functional expertise for centralized maintenance policy and management oversight for all weapon systems and military equipment maintenance programs and related resources within the Department of Defense.
- Establish and maintain maintenance policies and programs that are managerially and technologically sound and adequately resourced to maintain the desired levels of weapon systems and military equipment readiness to accomplish the Department's missions.
- Promoting Congressional understanding of DoD maintenance; requirements and programs.
- Responding to provisions of law and executive direction relating to weapon systems and military equipment maintenance by converting these requirements into coherent, effective policies and programs.
- Providing strong leadership for the execution of maintenance programs by the Military Services and Defense Agencies.
- Directing focused studies of new technologies and management approaches that offer significant potential to improve the productivity and effectiveness of DoD maintenance activites.
Mr. Johns is Deputy Assistand Asecretary of Defense for Maintenance. In this position, he is responsible for oversight of the Department's annual $80 billion maintenance program.
Late 2013 through early 2014, he deployed to Afghanistan as Executive Director fo Afghan National Security Forces Sustainment, Internation Security Assistance Force, where he was resonsible for advice and training of Afghan military and polices forces in the areas of Logistics, Acquisition and Resource Management.
In 2010, Mr. Johns served in Irag as Directof, Training and Advisory Mission, Iraqi Ministry of Defense, and Director, Iraque Security Forces Logistics where he was responsible for both the full range of advisory and training function required to establish goveranance of Iraqi Defense operations, as well as, develop the logistics infrastructure and processes to maintain readiness of both conventional military forces and police forces. >>READ FULL BIOGRAPHY