A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
-President Obama, Third Annual White House Science Fair, April 2013
Research Directorate: STEM Development
DoD Article for OSTP Blog Post DoD's STEM Diversity Campaign (SDC) Participation at the USA Science and Engineering Festival (USASEF)
View the article for OSTP
NSWC Dahlgren Division Commander Capt. Michael Smith observes students at a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) Summer Academy team rescue a ship in distress with a robot they programmed in a simulated event. [Photo Credit: Jane Bachman, NSWCDD Virginia STEM Learning Module Coordinator].
Mission: Provide Departmental leadership in STEM through policy development and
oversight leveraging intradepartmental collaboration and interagency cooperation.
Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) underpin DoD's ability to defend the Nation and to assure the vitality of the Nation's defense industrial base. Developing a highly competent STEM workforce requires partnerships among government, industry, and academia. Emerging mission requirements continue to pose great STEM workforce challenges for DoD.
The Department's Strategic Plan outlines a path forward to ensure that the Department has the STEM expertise necessary to develop technological solutions in an ever-changing threat environment. This plan affords DoD components the ability to tailor their approach to achieve these objectives.
- Air Force STEM: A tool that coordinates and connects Air Force STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) programs across the Air Force enterprise.
- Army's Educational Outreach Program (AEOP): Army-sponsored research, education, competitions, internships and practical experiences designed to engage and guide students and teachers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education.
- Federal Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathmatics (STEM) Expo : STEM Expo
- National Security Science and Engineering Faculty Fellowships (NSSEFF): Provides long-term funding to 29 eminent scholars at top U.S. universities. These scholars engage nearly 400 undergraduate and graduate students and postdocs in executing their research and provide a bridge to DoD research facilities.
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST): An advisory group of the nation's leading scientists and engineers who directly advise the President and the Executive Office of the President. PCAST makes policy recommendations in the many areas where understanding of science, technology, and innovation is key to strengthening our economy and forming policy that works for the American people.
- Navy's STEM to Stern (STEM2Stern) Program: An information portal for students, teachers, counselors, and mentors. It is a tool that coordinates and connects Naval STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) programs across the Naval enterprise.
- Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) program: A scholarship-for-service program that has funded approximately 1,200 of our nation's most talented undergraduate and graduate students in 19 fields critical to the DoD STEM enterprise.
- STEM Strategic Plan FY2016 - FY2020: A Report from the Committee on STEM Educational Defense Education Program (NDEP) National Defense Education Program (NDEP): Enhances students and world-class researchers' interest in DoD by offering opportunities for direct engagement with DoD labs and Component technical staff.
- Department of the Army
- Deputy Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology
- Department of the Navy
- Chief of Naval Research
- Department of the Air Force
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Science, Technology and Engineering
- Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Clinical and Program Policy
- Director, HR Strategic Programs and Advisory Services, Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service
- Director, Office of Diversity Management and Equal Opportunity
- Director, DoD Education Activity
- Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence
- Director, Human Capital Management
- Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Systems Engineering
- Director, Human Capital Initiatives
- Director, Office of Small Business Programs
- Other members, as designated
The STEM Development Office provides leadership for STEM education and outreach at the DoD, and aligns to the imperatives of the DoD Director, Defense Research and Engineering:
- Accelerate delivery of technical capabilities to win the current fight
- Invest in people and ideas to prepare for an uncertain future
- Reduce the cost, acquisition time and risk of our major defense acquisition program
- Develop world class science, technology, engineering, and mathematics capabilities for the DoD and the Nation
K-12 teachers and students
Undergraduate and graduate students
World-class university researchers and their students
For more information, contact Osd.email@example.com.