Data supporting contract closeout (e.g., DD Form 1594, Contract Completion Statement) are electronically transmitted throughout DoD. The Defense Logistics Manual, 4000.25 Volume 7, Contract Administration, Chapter 4, Contract Completion Status Reporting, available at http://www.dla.mil/j-6/dlmso/elibrary/manuals/dlm/dlm_pubs.asp, contains detailed instructions regarding closeout and electronic data transmission.
(1) The administration office closeout date for file purposes will be the date in Block 9d of the DD Form 1594 or agency equivalent.
(2) If the contracting office must do a major closeout action that will take longer than 3 months after the date shown in Block 9d of the DD Form 1594—
(i) The purchasing office closeout date for file purposes will be the date in Block 10e of the DD Form 1594 or agency equivalent; and
(ii) The contracting office shall notify the contract administration office of the revised closeout date by either sending a copy of the completed DD Form 1594 or by electronically transmitting the data.
(1) Locally developed forms or a statement of completion may be used instead of the DD Form 1594, Contract Completion Statement, and use the administration office closeout date. Whichever method is used, the form shall be retained in the contract file and copies sent to Electronic Data Access (EDA) and financial systems using the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) X12 Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) 567 transaction set.
(2) For contracts valued above the simplified acquisition threshold and not subject to the automated closeout procedures at PGI 204.804-3 (DFARS/PGI view), prepare a DD Form 1597, Contract Closeout Check List (or agency equivalent), to ensure that all required contract actions have been satisfactorily accomplished.
(1) When an office other than the contracting office administers the contract, the administering office shall—
(i) Provide the contracting office an interim contract completion statement when the contract is physically completed using the ANSI X12 567;
(ii) Prepare a DD Form 1597, Contract Closeout Check List or agency equivalent, if necessary, to determine that all the required actions have been completed;
(iii) Initiate DD Form 1593, Contract Administration Completion Record, if necessary to obtain statements from other organizational elements that they have completed the actions for which they are responsible; and
(iv) Upon final payment—
(A) Process a DD Form 1594 or the electronic equivalent verifying that all contract administration office actions have been completed; and
(B) Send the original DD Form 1594 or the electronic equivalent to the contracting office for filing in the contract file and send a copy to EDA and financial systems using the ANSI X12 567.
(2) If the administrative contracting officer (ACO) cannot close out a contract within the specified time period (see FAR 4.804-1), the ACO shall notify the procuring contracting officer (PCO) within 45 days after the expiration of the time period of—
(i) The reasons for the delay; and
(ii) The new target date for closeout.
(3) If the contract still is not closed out by the new target date, the ACO shall again notify the PCO with the reasons for delay and a new target date.
(1) Automated contract closeout. As permitted by FAR 4.804-5(a), automated contract closeout allows a system to initiate and execute the closeout action. The contract qualifies for the automated closeout process if the contract—
(i) Is firm-fixed priced;
(ii) Does not exceed a total contract value of $500,000 (inclusive of exercised options); and
(iii) Does not contain any of the following provisions requiring administrative action at closeout:
(A) FAR 52.211-11 Liquidated Damages—Supplies, Services, or Research and Development.
(B) FAR 52.216-7 Allowable Cost and Payment.
(C) FAR 52.227-9 Refund of Royalties.
(D) FAR 52.227-11 Patent Rights—Ownership by the Contractor.
(E) FAR 52.227-13 Patent Rights—Ownership by the Government.
(F) FAR 52.232-16 Progress Payments.
(G) FAR 52.232-29 Terms for Financing of Purchases of Commercial Items.
(H) FAR 52.232-30 Installment Payments for Commercial Items.
(I) FAR 52.232-32 Performance-Based Payments.
(J) FAR 52.245-1 Government Property.
(K) FAR 52.248-1 Value Engineering.
(2) Components may apply additional conditions not listed above, as necessary to ensure all contract requirements have been completed prior to closeout.