(Revised September 23, 2016)
(See DFARS 211.2, DFARS/PGI view)
(1) Specifications, standards, and data item descriptions are indexed in the Acquisition Streamlining and Standardization Information System (ASSIST).
(2) Specifications, standards, and data item descriptions that are not indexed in ASSIST should be included in the solicitation, if feasible, or made available at the contracting activity.
(3) Most unclassified specifications, standards, and data item descriptions may be downloaded from the ASSIST database (https://assist.dla.mil). Documents not available for download from ASSIST may be ordered using the ASSIST Shopping Wizard (http://assist.daps.dla.mil/wizard) or by contacting the Department of Defense Single Stock Point (DoDSSP), Building 4, Section D, 700 Robbins Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111-5094; telephone (215) 697-2179. When contacting the DoDSSP, include with each request—
(i) The requester’s customer number; and
(ii) A complete return mailing address, including any “mark for” instructions.
(1) Solicitations for previously developed items shall encourage offerors to identify Single Process Initiative (SPI) processes for use instead of military or Federal specifications and standards cited in the solicitation. Use of the clause at DFARS 252.211-7005, Substitutions for Military or Federal Specifications and Standards, satisfies this requirement.
(2) Contracting officers shall ensure that¾
(i) Concurrence of the requiring activity is obtained for any proposed substitutions prior to contract award;
(ii) Any necessary additional information regarding the SPI process identified in the proposal is obtained from the cognizant administrative contracting officer; and
(iii) In competitive procurements, prospective offerors are provided the opportunity to obtain verification that an SPI process is an acceptable replacement for a military or Federal specification or standard for the particular procurement prior to the date specified for receipt of offers.
(3) Any determination that an SPI process is not acceptable for a specific procurement shall be made prior to contract award at the head of the contracting activity or program executive officer level. This authority may not be delegated.
(b)(2)(ii) Send the copy of the determination and findings required by DFARS 211.274-2(b)(2)(i) to DPAP/Program Development and Implementation, Deputy Director, 3060 Defense Pentagon, 3B855, Washington, DC 20301-3060; or via email to: email@example.com.