About the Services Acquisition Directorate
The Services Acquisition Directorate is responsible for developing, implementing, governing and executing the acquisition oversight framework of services, and for the championing of strategic sourcing policy and initiatives, for the Department of Defense (DOD). Services acquisitions have accounted for more than half of all DOD contracting dollars spent in support of the Warfighter in recent years. Services Acquisition is responsible to ensure the proper process execution of services procurement results in the best value at the most reasonable cost.
A relatively new organization, Services Acquisition (DPAP/SA) is tasked to improve the tradecraft in the acquisition of services. Contracted services continue to represent over 50 percent of the Department of Defense’s total contract spending. As much of the spend is executed in smaller contracts, the DoD wishes to improve its oversight capabilities, develop an expert understanding of where services dollars are spent, and use the knowledge of services tradecraft to make strategic decisions about how to most efficiently meet the needs of the Warfighter. Better Buying Power 2.0, tasked DPAP/SA to:
- Coordinate improvements with Military Department and 4th Estate senior managers for acquisition of services
- Measure productivity using the DoD services taxonomy
- Improve requirements definition/prevent requirements creep
- Increase effective use of market research
- Strengthen contract management outside the normal acquisition chain – installations, etc.
- Expand use of requirements review boards and tripwire
- 2016: Director, DPAP issues revised "Approval of Changes to Decision Authorities of DoD Components for the Acquisition of Services" updating authorities to review Services Categories I, II, and III.
- 2016: DPAP releases Report on Acquisition of Services Policy and Oversight for FY15.
- 2016: Department of Defense Instruction 5000.74 Services Acquisition released and Enclosure 9 to DoD Instruction 5000.02 cancelled.
- 2015: Inaugural Services Acquisition Training Conference held in Southbridge, MA attended by over 80 participants from the Military Departments and 4th Estate.
- 2015: The Services Functional Integrated Product Team Charter updated to reflect the appointment of the Deputy Director, DPAP/ SA as the Functional Lead for Services.
- 2014: Services acquisition metrics are reported in the "Performance of the Defense Acquisition System - 2014 Annual Report" for the first time.
- 2014: Director, DPAP issues "Approval of Changes to Decision Authorities of DoD Components for the Acquisition of Services" updating authorities to review Services Categories I, II, and III.
- 2013: The Functional Domain Experts initiative established via memorandum consistent with the requirements of Better Buying Power 2.0 and results in the appointment of senior DoD officials to oversee each Services Portfolio Group. Further, the Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics is appointed as the Senior DoD Manager for the Acquisition of Services.
- 2013: The Services Acquisition Deputy Directorate established within the Office of Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy.
- 2012: The Services Acquisition Functional Integrated Product Team charted to address the Gansler Defense Science Board recommendation to provide "formal certification and training requirements for services acquisition personnel, consistent with the requirements of Sections 1723 and 1724 of title 10, United States Code."
- 2009: Section 802 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 (Pub. L. 111-84) required the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics to direct the Defense Science Board to conduct an independent assessment of improvements in the procurement and oversight of services by the Department of Defense.
- 2009: Director, Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy memorandum issued on February 18, 2009, to provide the tenets and review criteria for the Acquisition of Services.
- 2008: Acquisition of Services policy expressly stated in Enclosure 9 to DoD Instruction 5000.02 issued December 2008.
- 2008: AT&L memorandum (Delegation of Decision Authority to Commanders and Directors of the DoD Components for Acquisition of Services) delegating Decision Authorities for each DoD Component, and delegation of authority to DPAP to approve changes and additions to Decision Authorities, issued January 15, 2008.
- 2007: AT&L memorandum (Acquisition of Services Review and Decision Authority) delegating Review and Decision Authority to DPAP for acquisitions of services over 1 billion dollars issued on July 19, 2007.
- 2006: Acquisition of Services policy memorandum issued on October 2, 2006.
- 2006: Section 812 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 (Pub. L. No. 109-163) revised Section 2330 of Title 10, U.S.C. that required a management structure for acquisitions of services in DoD.
- 2005: Memorandum issued to conduct Acquisition of Services Policy Review on April 22, 2005.
- 2002: Acquisition of Services policy first issued on May 31, 2002.