Assistant Secretary of Defense for EI&E
Welcome to the website of the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations, and Environment. The ASD(EI&E) provides budgetary, policy and management oversight of the Department of Defense’s real property portfolio which encompasses 28 million acres, over 500 installations with over 500,000 buildings and structures valued at a trillion dollars. This office is responsible for advising the Secretary of Defense on policy development to optimize the performance of domestic and overseas installations through effective utilization and consolidation while ensuring mission assurance through the oversight of the physical infrastructure of the Department of Defense.
The ASD(EI&E) is responsible for enhancing the Department’s planning, programs, and military capabilities through military construction, facilities investment, environmental restoration and compliance, installation and operational energy resilience, occupational safety, and defense community assistance programs.
The efforts and policies of the Office are guided by the following strategic objectives:
- Restore the readiness of our forces to ensure immediate protection of our national interests and those of our allies;
- Increase military capabilities to deter the growing array of threats;
- Enhance the lethality of our forces to overcome any challenges to our Nation; and
- Reform the business practices of the Department of Defense to achieve savings.
- Eliminate waste in DoD installations and infrastructure;
- Support adequate funding for installation and infrastructure accounts to meet mission requirements and to address risks to safety and readiness.
- Protect test and training ranges from incompatible development;
- Ensure the mission through energy resilient forces and facilities;
- Seek new opportunities for third party partnerships;
- Develop smarter contracts, and manage contracts smartly;
- Provide for the safety and welfare of our people and resources through premier environmental stewardship and occupational safety programs.
- Collaborate with the hundreds of dedicated defense communities around the Nation protecting our bases and providing for the quality of life for our troops and their families.
The Honorable Lucian Niemeyer Shares Remarks from the 2017 SAME Federal Small Business Conference
On Thursday, November 16, Lucian Niemeyer addressed the SAME Federal Small Business Conference at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh. The conference featured large and small businesses and more than a dozen federal agencies for education and training and market research and networking opportunities.
Read More >>
ANNUAL EI&E EVENTS
To learn more about the individual components that comprise OASD(EI&E), please visit the EI&E offices listed at the top of the right block.