Twelve DoD Installations Reach Full Operational Capability in Support of the Joint Basing Program
Established by a recommendation of the 2005 Base Closure and Realignment Commission, twelve installations met full operational capability (FOC) as part of
the Department's overall joint basing program.
The joint basing program represents the Department of Defense (DoD) efforts to optimize the delivery of installation support across the services. Within DoD,
installations use military, civilians, and contractors to perform common installation management and support functions. All installations execute these functions
using relatively similar processes.
The BRAC Report created 12 joint bases from 26 service installations that were in close proximity or shared a boundary. DoD developed common output level
standards (COLS) to provide common output or performance level standards for installation support. The framework of COLS will provide a common language to
serve as a basis for (1) developing common output levels for each function of installation support at joint bases and (2) developing service-wide capability-based
planning models for all installation support functions.
Both common standards and the opportunity for the services to optimize installation management at joint bases will provide a learning environment for developing
efficient methods of installation support throughout the Department.
The Department expects to begin to realize efficiencies in the next 2-3 years as commanders find opportunities for consolidation and streamlining of installation
List of Joint Bases
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA: McChord Air Force Base (AFB) and Fort Lewis.
- Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ: Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst, Fort Dix, and McGuire AFB.
- Joint Base Andrews- Naval Air Facility Washington, MD: Naval Air Facility Washington and Andrews AFB.
- Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, DC: Bolling AFB and Naval Station Anacostia.
- Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, VA: Henderson Hall (USMC) and Fort Myer.
- Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, AK: Fort Richardson and Elmendorf AFB.
- Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, HI: Hickam AFB, HI, to Naval Station Pearl Harbor, HI.
- Joint Base San Antonio, TX: Fort Sam Houston, Randolph AFB, and Lackland AFB.
- Joint Base Charleston, SC: Naval Weapons Station Charleston and Charleston AFB.
- Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA: Fort Eustis and Langley AFB, VA.
- Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, VA: Fort Story and Naval Expeditionary Base Little Creek.
- Joint Region Marianas, Guam: Andersen AFB and Naval Base Guam.