Installation Energy Policy and Program Guidance
The Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Installation Energy provides installation energy policy and program guidance to all DoD Components. Some key policies and guidance can be found below.
Overarching Management and Planning
- Installations Energy Instruction DoDI 4170.11, March 16, 2016 (PDF, 182KB)
Provides guidance, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for DoD installation energy management.
- Installation Energy Plan, March 31, 2016 (PDF, 1.70MB)
- Department of Defense Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan, September 7, 2016 (PDF, 2.32MB)
This plan lays out DoD goals and performance expectations for the next decade, establishing the path by which DoD will serve as a model of sustainability for the nation while enhancing DoD's ability to achieve its mission.
- FY 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) (PDF, 2.32MB)
Authorizes appropriations for fiscal year 2015 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy.
- Executive Order 13693—Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade, March 19, 2015
Presidential order to to maintain Federal leadership in sustainability and greenhouse gas emission reductions.
Energy Project Funding Policy and Guidance
- Guidance on Development of Energy Projects, November 3, 2016 (PDF, 1.22MB)
Provides guidance on third-party financed renewable energy projects and directions for project package submission to ODUSD(I&E) for certification and/or approval.
- OMB Guidance on ESPCs and UESCs September 28, 2012 (PDF, 3.92MB)
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts and Utility Energy Service Contracts, Memorandum from the Acting Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, January 24, 2008 (PDF, 976KB)
A memo from the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisitions, Technology and Logistics on achieving EPAct 2005 energy conservation mandates.
Metering and Meter Data Management
Water Use Management