Installation Energy Policy and Program Guidance
The Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations and Environment provides installation energy policy and program guidance to all DoD Components. This guidance is based in large part on relevant Executive Orders, enacted legislation, and DoD Instructions. Some key policies and guidance can be found below.
- Installations Energy Instruction DODI 4170.11, December 11, 2009 (PDF, 182KB)
Provides guidance, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for DoD installation energy management.
- Financing of Renewable Energy Projects Policy, November 9, 2012 (PDF, 299KB)
Provides guidance on third-party financed renewable energy projects and directions for project package submission to ODUSD(I&E) for certification and/or approval.
- Department of Defense Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan, August 26, 2010 (PDF, 2.62MB)
This plan lays out DoD goals and performance expectations for the next decade, establishing the path by which DoD will serve as a model of sustainability for the nation while enhancing DoD's ability to achieve its mission.
- National Defense Authorization Act of 2015 (PDF, 2.89MB)
Authorizes appropriations for fiscal year 2015 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy.
- Executive Order 13693—Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade, March 19, 2015
Presidential order to to maintain Federal leadership in sustainability and greenhouse gas emission reductions.
- Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on DoD Energy Strategy, February, 2008 (PDF, 1.56MB)
An independent board's examination of DoD's strategy to achieve assured energy supply for DoD missions.
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts and Utility Energy Service Contracts, Memorandum from the Acting Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, January 24, 2008 (PDF, 976KB)
A memo from the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisitions, Technology and Logistics on achieving EPAct 2005 energy conservation mandates.
- Department of Defense Utilities Meter Policy, April 16, 2013 (PDF, 596KB) Policy directing Components to develop a Meter Data Management Plan (MDMP) specific to the attributes of their installations to establish unique Component-specific metering goals.
- Department of Defense Metering Plan, July 24, 2006 (PDF, 14.7KB)
DoD's plan to comply with metering mandates in EPAct 2005.
- Department of Energy Metering Guidance, November, 2014 Update (PDF, 446 KB)
Guidance for electric metering in federal buildings.
- Fuel Conservation, Memorandum from the Deputy Secretary of Defense, September 13, 2005 (PDF, 78.7KB)
Memo from the Deputy Secretary of Defense on DoD fuel conservation in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
- Energy Policy Act (EPACT) of 2005 - Congress.gov
Public law to combat growing energy problems.
- Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) of 2007 (PDF, 901KB)
- Installation Energy Plan (PDF, 1.70MB)
- Enterprise Energy Information Management (EEIM) Strategy 2012 (PDF, 382KB)
- UFC on High Performance and Sustainable Building Design (PDF, 512KB)