Installation Energy Policy and Program Guidance
The Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy (ODASD(E)) provides installation energy policy and program guidance to all DoD Components. Some key policies and guidance can be found below.
Overarching Management and Planning
- DoD Guidance on Oversight of Third-Party Financed Energy Projects, April 2, 2020 (PDF, 2.68MB)
This document provides guidance for the oversight of third-party financed energy projects including Energy Savings Performance Contracts, Utility Energy Services Contracts, Real Property Outgrants, Power Purchase Agreements, and Utilities Privatization Service Contracts. Note that Part IV of Appendix D is FOUO and can be provided upon request.
- Installations Energy Instruction DoDI 4170.11, March 16, 2016 (PDF, 182KB)
This provides guidance, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for DoD installation energy management.
- Installation Energy Plan, March 31, 2016 (PDF, 1.70MB)
This original Installation Energy Plan (IEP) policy required DoD Components to develop IEPs for those installations that consume 75 percent of a Component’s total installation energy consumption. The intent was to focus DoD Components on large installations where IEPs would have the greatest impact.
- Installation Energy Plans - Energy Resilience and Cybersecurity Update and Expansion of the Requirement to All DoD Installations, March 30, 2018 (PDF, 415KB)
This memorandum revises the IEP policy to expand the requirement to all installations, and explicitly incorporates guidance on energy resilience and facility-related control systems (FRCS) cybersecurity. Energy resilience and cybersecurity will be required to be integrated into all aspects of DoD installation energy planning and management to support critical missions.
- Department of Defense Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan, September 7, 2016 (PDF, 2.32MB)
This plan lays out DoD goals and performance expectations for the next decade, establishing the path by which DoD will serve as a model of sustainability for the nation while enhancing DoD's ability to achieve its mission.
- FY 2020 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) (PDF, 2.93MB)
Authorizes appropriations and sets forth policies for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy.
- Executive Order 13834 - Efficient Federal Operations, March 17, 2018 (PDF, 208KB)
Presidential order for agencies to meet statutory requirements in a manner that increases efficiency, optimizes performance, eliminates unnecessary use of resources, and protects the environment.
Energy Project Funding Policy and Guidance
- Policy on Energy Savings Performance Contracts (ESPCs) and Utility Energy Services Contracts (UESCs), November 20, 2018 (PDF, 860KB)
This policy provides guidance on the use of ESPCs and UESCs to enhance energy resilience and cybersecurity at DoD installations in support of the National Defense Strategy. This policy also requires that ESPCs and UESCs include maintenance, repair, and replacement (MR&R) requirements associated with the energy conservation measures to improve the long-term performance success of these contracts.
- Reporting Requirements for the Oversight of Energy Savings Performance Contracts and Utility Energy Service Contracts, July 13, 2018 (PDF, 73KB)
This memorandum provides guidance to the DoD Components on tracking and reporting the award progress and post-award performance of ESPCs and UESCs.
- OMB Guidance on ESPCs and UESCs September 28, 2012 (PDF, 3.92MB)
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts and Utility Energy Service Contracts, Memorandum from the Acting Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, January 24, 2008 (PDF, 976KB)
This is a memo from the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisitions, Technology and Logistics on achieving EPAct 2005 energy conservation mandates.
- Guidance on Development of Energy Projects, November 3, 2016 (PDF, 1.22MB)
Provides guidance on third-party financed renewable energy projects and directions for project package submission to ODUSD(I&E) for certification and/or approval.
Metering and Meter Data Management
- Demand Response Memorandum, March 30, 2018 (PDF, 80KB)
This memorandum describes the reasoning for the Demand Response Guidance for the DoD Components, as authorized by 10 U.S.C. 2919.