Our Mission / Purpose
Ensure DoD mission readiness with continued access to natural and man-made resources for test, training, sustainment and basing; continue to implement polices that protect personnel & the environment, mission-critical resources, and our communities through identification and management of evolving challenges in a changing world.
Responsible for ensuring DoD meets its sustainability mission by:
- Coordinate existing and emerging policy, develop tools, and provide oversight as DoD transforms how we build, buy, and manage electricity, chemicals, vehicles, buildings, and other operations to be resilient and sustainable within a compressed timeframe.
- Conduct mission accounting and supply chain engagement initiatives to drive decisions and sustainability metrics.
- Managing Federal sustainability reporting requirements for DoD including annual Department Sustainability Plans and Climate Related Plans.
- Enabling adoption of cost-effective, environmentally preferable technologies that increase operational efficiencies, reduce negative impact to human health and the environment, and are safer for the DoD workforce.
- Ensuring that Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health (ESOH) and sustainability considerations are integrated into acquisition processes across the Department.
DoD and Sustainability
- To successfully execute the Department of Defense (DoD) mission, our Military Departments must have the energy, land, air, and water resources necessary to train and operate in a world where there is increasing competition for resources.
- The Department pursues sustainability opportunities based on data that make the most compelling case in terms of mission, productivity, and long-term cost performance.
DoD’s Sustainability Vision
To maintain the ability to operate into the future without decline either in mission or in the natural and man-made systems that support