Assistant Secretary of Defense for EI&E
Welcome to the website of the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations, and Environment. The ASD(EI&E) provides budgetary, policy and management oversight of the Department of Defense’s real property portfolio which encompasses 28 million acres, over 500 installations with over 500,000 buildings and structures valued at a trillion dollars. This office is responsible for advising the Secretary of Defense on policy development to optimize the performance of domestic and overseas installations through effective utilization and consolidation while ensuring mission assurance through the oversight of the physical infrastructure of the Department of Defense.
The ASD(EI&E) is responsible for enhancing the Department’s planning, programs, and military capabilities through military construction, facilities investment, environmental restoration and compliance, installation and operational energy resilience, occupational safety, and defense community assistance programs.
The efforts and policies of the Office are guided by the following strategic objectives:
- Restore the readiness of our forces to ensure immediate protection of our national interests and those of our allies;
- Increase military capabilities to deter the growing array of threats;
- Enhance the lethality of our forces to overcome any challenges to our Nation; and
- Reform the business practices of the Department of Defense to achieve savings.
- Eliminate waste in DoD installations and infrastructure;
- Support adequate funding for installation and infrastructure accounts to meet mission requirements and to address risks to safety and readiness.
- Protect test and training ranges from incompatible development;
- Ensure the mission through energy resilient forces and facilities;
- Seek new opportunities for third party partnerships;
- Develop smarter contracts, and manage contracts smartly;
- Provide for the safety and welfare of our people and resources through premier environmental stewardship and occupational safety programs.
- Collaborate with the hundreds of dedicated defense communities around the Nation protecting our bases and providing for the quality of life for our troops and their families.
Leader Profile: Enhancing Our Nation's Security, The Honorable Lucian Niemeyer
The Military Engineer, magazine for the Society of American Military Engineers, May-June 2018 issue, Volume 110, Number 714
The Honorable Lucian Niemeyer Presents the President's Fiscal Year 2019 Budget Request
The Honorable Lucian Niemeyer appeared before the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies; House Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies; and House Committee on Armed Services Subcommittee on Readiness on April 12, 2018, April 18 and April 26, 2018, respectively, to present the President's Fiscal Year 2019 budget request for the Department of Defense programs supporting energy, installations and the environment. Links to his written statements are below.
- House Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies: Review of the FY2019 Budget Request for Energy, Installations and Environment, April 12, 2018 (PDF, 155KB)
- House Committee on Armed Services Subcommittee on Readiness: Review of the FY2019 Budget Request for Energy, Installations and Environment, April 18, 2018 (PDF, 551KB)
- Senate Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies: Review of the FY2019 Budget Request for Energy, Installations and Environment, April 26, 2018 (PDF, 552KB)
ANNUAL EI&E EVENTS
Commander in Chief's (CinC) Annual Award for Installation Excellence
Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards
To learn more about the individual components that comprise OASD(EI&E), please visit the EI&E offices listed at the top of the right block.