The principal missions of the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Maintenance
Policy and Programs (DASD(MPP)) are to:
- Serve as the principal advisor for policies and procedures for maintenance support of major weapon systems and military equipment.
- Provide the functional expertise for centralized maintenance policy and management oversight for all weapon systems and military equipment maintenance programs and related resources within the Department of Defense.
- Establish and maintain maintenance policies and programs that are managerially and technologically sound and adequately resourced to maintain the desired levels of weapon systems and military equipment readiness to accomplish the Department's missions.
- Promoting Congressional understanding of DoD maintenance; requirements and programs.
- Responding to provisions of law and executive direction relating to weapon systems and military equipment maintenance by converting these requirements into coherent, effective policies and programs.
- Providing strong leadership for the execution of maintenance programs by the Military Services and Defense Agencies.
- Directing focused studies of new technologies and management approaches that offer significant potential to improve the productivity and effectiveness of DoD maintenance activities.
Kenneth D. Watson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Materiel Readiness. In this capacity, he serves as the principal advisor to the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment, providing integration and oversight of the Department's annual $90 billion maintenance program. In this capacity he develops policies and procedures for materiel readiness and maintenance support of major weapon systems and military equipment within the Department of Defense. He assumed his current post in January 2017.
>>READ FULL BIOGRAPHY