The principal missions of the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Materiel Readiness (DASD(MR)) are to:
- Serve as the principal advisor for policies and procedures for maintenance support of major weapon systems and military equipment.
- Provide the functional expertise for centralized maintenance policy and management oversight for all weapon systems and military equipment maintenance programs and related resources within the Department of Defense.
- Establish and maintain maintenance policies and programs that are managerially and technologically sound and adequately resourced to maintain the desired levels of weapon systems and military equipment readiness to accomplish the Department's missions.
- Promoting Congressional understanding of DoD maintenance; requirements and programs.
- Responding to provisions of law and executive direction relating to weapon systems and military equipment maintenance by converting these requirements into coherent, effective policies and programs.
- Providing strong leadership for the execution of maintenance programs by the Military Services and Defense Agencies.
- Directing focused studies of new technologies and management approaches that offer significant potential to improve the productivity and effectiveness of DoD maintenance activities.
Dr. Vic S. Ramdass, a member of the Senior Executive Service since 2009, is the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Materiel Readiness. In this capacity he serves as the principal advisor to the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment in the oversight of the Department’s $90 billion maintenance program. He is also responsible for the development of policies and procedures to ensure the Department meets statutory requirements to provide core depot level maintenance support of major weapon systems, military equipment, and commodities. He assumed his current position in March 2021.
>>READ FULL BIOGRAPHY