Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I have further questions about participating in the SBIR/STTR Programs, whom should I contact?

A: The DoD SBIR/STTR help desk, at 1-866-724-7457. SBIR/STTR Home pageExternal Link

Q: Does the OSD OSBP office award contracts?

A: No. The vast majority of DoD contracts are awarded by DoD field organizations. Please see our Small Business Professionals page for more information.

Q: How do I find the Federal Supply Classification Code (FSC) or the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code?

A: It is helpful to know the Federal Supply Classification Code (FSC) or Product/Service Code (PSC) for your product or service. Many government product/service listings and future procurements are identified by FSC or PSC. ( Link).

Small Business Size Standard for all Federal Government programs associated with SIC codes have been placed by those that SBA has established for industries as described in the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). SBA has established a new table of small business size standards based on NAICS ( Link).

Q: How do I do obtain a DUNS Number and register in the System for Awards Management (SAM) System?

A: If you do not have a DUNS Number, contact Dun and BradstreetExternal Link to obtain one. You must be registered in the System for Awards Management (SAM)External Link to be awarded a contract from the DoD. SAM is a database designed to hold information relevant to procurement and financial transactions. SAM affords you the opportunity for fast electronic payment of your invoices.

Q: How do I register in the Centralized Contractor Registration (CCR) systems?

A: The federal government's Central Contractor Registration (CCR) database where all businesses, large and small, must register in order to do business with the federal government. July 29,2012 CCR merged with FedReg, ORCA, and EPLS to form SAMExternal Link. SBA manages and inputs into SAM the 8(a),and HUBZone certifications for all small businesses, all other designations are self-represented.

We encourage you to determine if your firm qualifies for 8(a) or HUBZone certification while visiting the SBA website. In addition this site provides information about other SBA resources including Small Business Development Centers, Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), and Women's Business Development Centers.

Q: How can I identify current DoD procurement opportunities?

A: You can identify current procurement opportunities in your product or service area by checking the Federal Business OpportunitiesExternal Link. It can also assist you in identifying DoD, as well as other Federal procurement opportunities.

Q: Where can I find DoD contracting procedures and contract clauses?

A: These are contained in the Federal Acquisition RegulationsExternal Link (FAR) and the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation SupplementExternal Link (DFARS).

Q: How can I get a Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) contract?

A: Many DoD purchases are, in fact, orders on FSS contracts. Contact the General Services AdministrationExternal Link (GSA) for information on how to obtain a FSS contract.

Q: Where can I find additional assistance in the DoD marketplace?

A: There are several important resources that are available to assist you in the DoD marketplace:

  • Procurment Technical Assistance CentersExternal Link (PTACs) are located in most states and partially funded by DoD to provide small business concerns with information on how to do business with the Department of Defense. They provide training and counseling on marketing, financial, and contracting issues at minimal or no cost.
  • Small Business Professionals are located at each DoD buying activity and can provide assistance on how to market to the DoD.
  • DefenseLinkExternal Link provides links to the homepages of every DoD activity. This information can be invaluable in researching the DoD marketplace and identifying your target market.

Q: How do I identify subcontracting opportunities?

A: Regardless of your product or service it is important that you do not neglect our very large secondary market, Subcontracting Opportunities with DoD Prime Contractors, which is available from our Doing Business with DoD page. This document lists all major DoD prime contractors by state and provides a point of contact (Small Business Liaison Officer) within each firm. We encourage you to investigate potential opportunities with these firms. Many also have websites that may be useful and we encourage you and them to team with each other.

The SBA's SUB-NetExternal Link is a valuable source for obtaining information on subcontracting opportunities. Solicitations or notices are posted not only by prime contractors, but the SUB-Net is also used by other government, commercial, and educational entities.

Q: What is eSRS?

The electronic Subcontracting Reporting System (eSRS) is a government-wide Internet-based tool which streamlines the process of reporting on subcontracting plans, and provides agencies with access to analytical data on subcontracting performance. The eSRS eliminates the need for paper submissions and processing of the SF-294, SF-295, Individual Subcontracting Reports, and Summary Subcontracting Reports, by replacing the forms with an easy-to-use electronic process to submit the data.

The paper submission of SF-294 is only required for orders issued under either a Basic Ordering Agreement (BOA) or a Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA).

For additional information go to: ESRSExternal Link