Research Directorate Office: About Us
Today, the DDR&E reports to the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics.
The OASD(R&E) has four directorates: Research, Systems Engineering, Rapid Fielding, and Developmental Test and Evaluation. The OASD(R&E) is supported by other components as well.
The Research Directorate has policy and oversight responsibility for DoD programs in basic research, applied research, advanced development, and advanced components and prototypes. Read our mission below.
- Develop the strategies and supporting plans that exploit science, technology and prototypes to respond to the needs of the DoD.
- Ensure U.S. technological superiority, prepare for an uncertain future, and accelerate delivery of technical capabilities to the warfighter.
- Conduct analyses and studies; develop policies; provide technical leadership, oversight and advice; make recommendations; and issue guidance.
- Oversee matters associated with DoD laboratories; the science and engineering workforce; and efforts to stimulate science, engineering and mathematics education.
- Ensure interchange with Allied and friendly nations.
- Provide support to the Defense Technology Security Administration on technological issues pertaining to international acquisition and export activities.
- Provide advice and assistance in developing policies for rapid technology transition.
- Provide technical support to the USD(AT&L) on programs subject to review by the Defense Acquisition Board to reduce the cost, acquisition time, and risk of major acquisition programs. Conduct technology readiness assessments to inform acquisition decisions.